Re: [pkix] OCSP Signing Certificate Key usage standards

"Liaquat Khan" <liaquat.khan@ascertia.com> Mon, 04 April 2016 19:44 UTC

From: Liaquat Khan <liaquat.khan@ascertia.com>
To: 'daniel bryan' <danbryan80@gmail.com>, pkix@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 20:44:13 +0100
Subject: Re: [pkix] OCSP Signing Certificate Key usage standards

Hi Daniel

We have deployed both options in the past, although with a variation on option 2 in that we generate separate PKCS#10 CSR from the same public key to send to the different CAs.  I don’t think there is much difference in performance with either option, remember the OCSP responder needs to find the right responder certificate to attach to the OCSP response even if it’s using a single private key – although I have not specifically tested the performance difference.  In terms of security having separate keys is better although if they are in an HSM compromise is unlikely and if somehow one can be comprised then so can others.   I am not aware of any specific industry/standards-based guidance to help choose between these options.

Regards

LK