Re: [plasma] Advanced Policies

Trevor Freeman <trevorf@exchange.microsoft.com> Wed, 24 August 2011 23:21 UTC

From: Trevor Freeman <trevorf@exchange.microsoft.com>
To: "Fitch, Scott C" <scott.c.fitch@lmco.com>, "'plasma@ietf.org'" <plasma@ietf.org>, "'jimsch@nwlink.com'" <jimsch@nwlink.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:22:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.103]
Subject: Re: [plasma] Advanced Policies

Hi Scott,

To slightly misquote Arnold "I am back"

Yes you are on the mark that a role represents a collection of policies and each policy is represented by a unique pointer. Different projects which are covered by different licenses would be represented by different policies. This model is trying to achieve two objectives

1.       Make the end  user choice a simple as possible even in complex environments so they can pull the trigger with a little fuss a possible and still get the right result

2.       Not open up a can of PEP interoperability woopass that optional parameters would invoke.

By presenting a two level hierarchy (each user has a set of roles and each role has a set of policies) you can in effect present a large number of combinations of parameters to the end user without their knowledge about the details of the combination or making the client more complex. It would be good feedback to have some estimate of the number of permutations a user would be allowed to assert.

This model is trading client simplicity for server complexity. I hear what you saying about the number of instances of polices you need to create under this model most of whom would have very similar rules. However I do see that as a tractable problem for PAP implementations with many similarities to code reuse. You are saying there are a relatively small number of policy rule sets which you want to use across a large number of instances of policy. As a corporation, we have standard terms and conditions for contracts which we use across thousands of contracts which all result in access to different sets of corporate assets.  You need a policy authoring tool which reflects that reality much like we want a developer to use shared libraries for common operations. Under this model a generic set of ITAR rules could exist as an abstract policy much like an abstract class in code, which could be reused across multiple instances of program policies.

Trevor