Re: [plasma] Clarification of how client applications handle the LockBox in client in <plasma:GetCMSToken> elements

Ed Simon <Ed.Simon@titus.com> Wed, 02 January 2013 23:04 UTC

From: Ed Simon <Ed.Simon@titus.com>
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>, 'Trevor Freeman' <trevorf@exchange.microsoft.com>, "plasma@ietf.org" <plasma@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 23:04:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.200.2]
Subject: Re: [plasma] Clarification of how client applications handle the LockBox in client in <plasma:GetCMSToken> elements

If a XACML policy includes, inter alia, a rule that requiring a that only recipients may read an email, then the XACML will require either that the access subject be specified in the XACML request (as I have said below) or that the identity of the access subject be accessible through a PIP; XACML, to my recollection, makes no automatic assumption that the authenticating party is the access subject party. If PLASMA is to require that the authenticating party be implicitly considered also as a XACML access subject, then PLASMA needs to be explicit about that and perhaps describe the means through which that is to be accomplished wrt XACML -- would it not?

I do not see why it would be difficult for client apps to specify who the access-requesting email recipient is through XACML attributes in the GetCMSKey PLASMA request. That seems to me the easiest, most robust approach for both clients apps and policy servers.

My preference is for PLASMA to say that email recipients are to be specified as XACML access subjects in the XACML request part (as is the normal case with XACML). If it is also deemed necessary to support the XACML PIP approach, we can do that too.

Ed