Re: [plasma] Open-Environments

Trevor Freeman <trevorf@exchange.microsoft.com> Wed, 01 August 2012 17:26 UTC

From: Trevor Freeman <trevorf@exchange.microsoft.com>
To: Jean-Paul Buu-Sao <jean-paul.buu-sao@tscp.org>, "plasma@ietf.org" <plasma@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 17:15:41 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.94.18]
Subject: Re: [plasma] Open-Environments

Hi Jean-Paul,

The type of open I referred to was open world Assumption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_World_Assumption). This is essentially whether you consider your knowledge base to be complete (closed) or not (open).

If you look at the sequence of plasma tokens (role token, message token, read token) The role token is a closed world and the message and read tokens are open world. The role token has to be a closed world as it generates the finite set of policies the user can use. This collection of polices has also been referred to as a protection profile. It is configured by the administrator to meet the needs to the role. Subsequent tokens use an open world assumption, so that a PDEP can discover as required new policies. That said, the policy is in many ways no different to other attributes a PDP receives in that the PDEP has to have some policy around PAP it trusts. If a request is made to a PDEP which requires a policy from a PAP it does not trusted, then the PDEP would know to reply "don't know" just as it would if it could not reach the policy uri. The Plasma client can then try another PDEP.

Trevor