Re: [plasma] Who creates the 'keyIdentifier'?

"Jim Schaad" <jimsch@nwlink.com> Mon, 30 July 2012 22:34 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <jimsch@nwlink.com>
To: 'Alan Borland' <alan.b.borland@googlemail.com>, plasma@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:33:17 -0700
Subject: Re: [plasma] Who creates the 'keyIdentifier'?

Alan,

Sorry for the delay on getting back with a fuller response on this issue.  I
managed to fall off of my stack of issues.

The KeyIdentifier in the CMS KEKIdentifier field is generated by the client
and populated by the client.  The field originally was not sent to the
Plasma server as it was not thought necessary.  When doing implementations,
for some reason I can no longer remember I thought it was necessary so added
it to the schema without also putting in the documentation.

Since that point I have gone back to the point of wondering if the field is
needed or not.  It may be that it is just local to the client and never
needs to be sent to the server.  Part of the issue is a question on the
ability to have two different KEK objects in a single MIME message that is
done over multiple CMS objects each with a different KEKIdentifier (or the
same one).  If this is the case then it might be needed, but it would also
require a couple of other changes that I have not completely worked out yet.

Jim