Re: [plasma] [abfab] FW: New Non-WG Mailing List: plasma -- The PoLicy Augmented S/Mime (plasma) bof discussion list

Josh Howlett <Josh.Howlett@ja.net> Tue, 08 February 2011 10:26 UTC

From: Josh Howlett <Josh.Howlett@ja.net>
To: "plasma@ietf.org" <plasma@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 10:27:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [194.82.140.76]
Cc: Josh Howlett <Josh.Howlett@ja.net>

Thank you. After a quick review of your docs, my sense is that Abfab could make sense in your scenarios.

If I have understood you correctly, I think you are suggesting refactoring Schaad-eps-trust such that it can use alternative bindings: WS-Trust or AAA.

I'm still undecided whether we are best served using a general purpose AAA-XML attribute, or domain-specific AAA-SAML and AAA-PLASMA attributes. They both share certain requirements of the AAA layer.

The consideration that weighs most in my mind is the implementation implications of a general purpose XML attributes. We definitely don't want to require AAA proxies to parse the attribute's XML blob to determine the next hop.

However, there's a similar issue in the AAA-SAML case where AAA proxies need to disambiguate between different types of SAML Issuers. I have suggested (see attached) using standard function-specific identifiers in the AAA Network Access Identifier. So, PLASMA could perhaps also define an identifier(s) that provide the necessary routing cue(s).

Josh.

Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG

--- Begin Message ---
>     >> Control question for Sam and Scott: is it possible (and
>     >> reasonably easy) to do SP-centric attribute aggregation for
>     >> abfab, by which I mean having the SP issue additional attribute
>     >> queries to IdPs within the AAA-centric trust model proposed by
>     >> Sam and Josh?
>
>     Josh> Yes, possible and easy (assuming, obviously, we can assume
>     Josh> that the SPs and IdP have a common identifier for the
>     Josh> subject).
>
> Josh, I suspect you are right, but the details are not clear to me.

Nor me in truth; I suspect that I am about to discover it was inadvisable of me to claim 'easy' :-)

> How does the SP address the request to a particular AA?

The model that I have in mind is that we specify a set of standard endpoint locator names for different type of Issuer roles. These can be used, in conjunction with the NAI realm of the Issuer, to construct a complete NAI.

e.g. say we specify the "saml-20-aa" name to mean a SAML 2.0 attribute authority. An SP wanting to route a message to this actor to example.com prefixes the realm of the intended Issuer with this, thus "saml-20-aa.example.com". The AAA SAML attribute within this request message contains a SAML Request message containing the identifier for the subject.

Josh.
--- End Message ---