[Plus] New PLUS mailing list, side meeting and future steps

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Mon, 05 December 2016 14:55 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 15:45:27 +0100
To: spud <spud@ietf.org>
Cc: plus@ietf.org, Brian Trammell <ietf@trammell.ch>

Hi all,

as previously announced on this list, we had a side meeting on PLUS at IETF-97. We had about 20 people attending and showing continued interest in working in this space. The discussion was mostly centered around draft-hardie-path-signals, which describes the concept of path signals as currently used by on-path devices; as well as draft-trammell-plus-statefulness, which describes a transport-independent state machine for on-path state management, the basis for any flow-based path signaling.

There was detailed discussion on the state machine as proposed in the -00 version of the draft starting from the need for a clear definition of what a stateful middlebox is, and expectations about the deployment of such middleboxes. It was further noted that for each signal that is exposed to a middlebox, a clear benefit must be shown. This further led to more discuss about the need and use of the stop/close signal and if it would be needed to also have cancel-stop signal if the close signal was detected by the receiver to be spoofed. This discussion is on-going, and related to current discussion on the quic list.

We have submitted a revision of draft-trammell-plus-statefulness has been published, based mainly on discussion after the side meeting. See:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-trammell-plus-statefulness/

Based on such a basic mechanism for state management, there was interest in using PLUS mechanisms for time-out exposure to optimize keep-alive traffic for mobile devices as well as providing input for network troubleshooting in a transport-independent way. To allow for future experimentation, the next step is to write a specification that describes the assumed wire image. There was interest in participating in this work from several attendees as well as a request for providing middlebox guidelines on how to interpret and use such a transport-independent wire image.

While the work on these approaches are continuing, we did not decide on any concrete plans for another attempt to start a working group in the IETF (e.g. having a BoF in the near future). With this mail, we would like to move future discussion over to the plus@ietf.org mailing list. This new mailing list is intended to be used for work and discussion on path layer signaling as indicated by the mailing list description: