Re: [pntaw] Real-time media over TCP

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 03 September 2013 07:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:34:06 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Cc: "pntaw@ietf.org" <pntaw@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [pntaw] Real-time media over TCP

On 09/02/2013 08:17 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:
> If the issue is firewall restrictions on UDP, then the data channel is not likely to be a workable option. The question for me is how far we need to go to solve this (e.g. RFC 6062? 6544?). The scenario where both sides are behind UDP blocking firewalls is not common, but it does occur.

I was thinking more about "what can you do to avoid TCP's bad behaviour
for real-time traffic, and still be in a connection-oriented,
congestion-controlled environment". Multiple TCP connections seems like
a suboptimal design, given the existence of other solutions like Minion
or SCTP.

If both sides have TURN over TCP (or TURN over HTTP) enabled, and their
respective TURN servers can talk UDP to each other, communication will
occur, I think. I don't think we need to add TCP candidates for the TURN
case in order to bypass firewalls.

We might want to do so for the benefit of the pure peer-to-peer case,
but I'm not sure it's a case that's important enough to make 6062 (TURN
TCP allocations) or 6544 (ICE TCP allocations, no TURN server) into
MUSTs for RTCWEB.