[pntaw] draft-hutton-rtcweb-nat-firewall-considerations

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Fri, 30 August 2013 14:16 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: "pntaw@ietf.org" <pntaw@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:16:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.29.42.225]
Subject: [pntaw] draft-hutton-rtcweb-nat-firewall-considerations

This draft discusses the interaction between webrtc browsers and Web Proxies, Firewalls and TURN servers and makes some proposals on what needs to be implemented in webrtc browsers.  We have already received a few comments both on the rtcweb list and off list so we are working on an update which we hope to submit within the next couple of weeks.

As some people have recently stated on the rtcweb list this is an important aspect of webrtc that needs to be tackled to enable webrtc deployments in many restricted environments.

The draft discusses the use of HTTP CONNECT in environments with web proxies to enable a tunnel to be established to the TURN server but this does not require any TURN enhancements which some people seem to have thought to be the case.  A small number of people have told me that this might be controversial but the way I see it is that webrtc brings new types of media to web applications we need to specify the interaction between webrtc browsers and proxies in the same was as is done for HTTP (See http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-23#section-4.3.6).

Look forward to your comments.

Regards
Andy