Re: [pntaw] TURN over websockets

Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com> Fri, 30 August 2013 11:45 UTC

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 13:45:31 +0200
From: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>
To: Sergio Garcia Murillo <sergio.garcia.murillo@gmail.com>
Cc: pntaw@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pntaw] TURN over websockets

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:42:09 +0200
Sergio Garcia Murillo <sergio.garcia.murillo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I will shoot first.
>
> It is great to finally see some real interest in what I consider to be
> the blocking point for webrtc in order to run business on top of it,
> which is the ability to be able to connect through corporate firewalls.
>
> I have seen some people arguing that with just TURN over TCP on port 443
> the problem will be solved, but I seriously doubt it. Neither TURN over
> SSL would do, as most web filters do DPI and will not enable the
> connection. Also, I have heard lots of voices that says we are trying to
> override network admin policies with dirty tricks. With whom, I could agree.

That's the main objection I got when I published the (now expired) draft I published a year ago to throw the proverbial "stone in the lake" about an HTTP fallback solution. As I said at the time, I agree with you that the solution doesn't have to be sneaky, and that it could very well be conceived to be network admin-friendly/controllable.

> So, the only way I see to move forward and overcome this issues is by
> playing according to the WEB rules, and use HTTP standards to enable
> media connectivity in WebRTC that would play nicely with current
> corporate HTTP proxies and web filters.
>
> And,  for me the most viable solution would be to enable TURN over
> websockets. As most WebRTC services relay on websockets in one way or
> another for signaling, we could assume that media would work on 100% of
> the cases where signaling is working today.
> Also, as it is an http based solution, network administrators could
> apply corporate policies and block connections to not-trusted TURN servers.
>
> Best regards
> Sergio

I'm not an expert in websockets, which is why in my rough proposal I described a way to do this using plain HTTP, but I guess they'd be good for the purpose as well. The only doubt I have is that, as far as I know, not always websockets are able to traverse some more restrictive components: the popular BitDefender firewall, for instance, apparently doesn't let it through.

Anyway, I'd personally support a work in that direction, and would be willing to help working on it too if needed.

Lorenzo