Re: [pntaw] FW: New Version Notification for draft-reddy-behave-turn-auth-03.txt

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 03 September 2013 14:05 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 16:05:08 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: pntaw@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pntaw] FW: New Version Notification for draft-reddy-behave-turn-auth-03.txt

Quick review of this document..... I am typing this up because I spent
time reading the draft, not because I have a particular opinion about
what should be done with it.

1) Please get someone to fix the grammar. For non-native English
speakers like me, it is problematic to parse sentences like this:

    TURN server plays a vital and is a building block to support direct,
    interactive, real-time communication using audio, video,
    collaboration, games, etc., between two peers web-browsers in Web
    Real-Time communication (WebRTC) [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-overview]
    framework.

the problems of this specific sentence include:
- no article ("the", "a") on "Turn server"
- The sentence fragment around "peers web-browsers in..." does not parse
for me. Either "peers using web browsers that implement" or, simpler,
"two peers' web browsers using the" - or it's possible that the intended
meaning wasthat "in Web Real-Time communication" was intended to group
with "a building block". There's no way I can tell from the sentence.
- "plays a vital" has no object

I could go on, but it's really distracting and error-prone to guess at
the intended grammar before I can start guessing at the intended meaning.

(the subsequent sections are actually a bit better. But this particular
sentence was scary to me.)

2) The use case reference is wrong. Section 4.2.4.1 doesn't exist.
Section 3.2.5.1 seems to fit the bill, but it's more stable to refer to
them by name.

3) The password guessing attack described in section 4 bullet 1 *is* an
offline dictionary attack. So the paragraph gives the same attack twice.

4) section 4 bullet 2 assumes that one needs a credentials database at
the TURN server to verify the credentials. This is incorrect, as
draft-uberti shows; all that is required is that the credentials are
verifiable.

5) In section 4 bullet 4 one talks about "the USERNAME of the host".
This word is used in addition to "client" and "user, seemingly
interchangeably. The takeaway here is that reusing USERNAMEs over time
leads to tracking of usages of the USERNAME, which may lead to tracking
of the entity (client or user) that uses it. This is a good argument for
a draft-uberti-like mechanism for throwaway credentials.

6) The security section is just incorrect. The whole draft is about
raising security concerns.

I am not very happy with the idea of spending significant draft and
review time on listing issues - but if we list issues, the issues should
be correctly stated.