RE: [Policy] RE: PCELS position

David McTavish <dmctavish@sandvine.com> Fri, 26 September 2003 22:26 UTC

From: David McTavish <dmctavish@sandvine.com>
To: 'Robert Moore' <remoore@us.ibm.com>, John Strassner <John.Strassner@intelliden.com>
Cc: "'Wijnen, Bert (Bert)'" <bwijnen@lucent.com>, David McTavish <dmctavish@sandvine.com>, "'Joel M. Halpern'" <joel@stevecrocker.com>, John Strassner <John.Strassner@intelliden.com>, "'Pana, Mircea'" <mpana@metasolv.com>, "'policy@ietf.org'" <policy@ietf.org>, policy-admin@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Policy] RE: PCELS position
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:33:11 -0400
Sender: policy-admin@ietf.org

Hi Bob,
Unfortunately, in LDAP, attributes must be globally unique. So, if an
attribute is defined as "foo" in one objectclass as a boolean, and as an
integer in another class, this causes an incompatibility. In some cases
(OpenLDAP), this prevents the server from even starting. It's not the most
elegant implementation, but something you get used to when working on LDAP.

Hope this is informational,
d.