AUTH command

John Gardiner Myers <jgm+@cmu.edu> Fri, 24 June 1994 21:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 17:16:29 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: John Gardiner Myers <jgm+@cmu.edu>
Subject: AUTH command
Beak: Is

I haven't seen many comments on draft-myers-pop3-auth-00.txt

Is this worth doing?  Are there any developers, server or client, who
are interested in implementing this?

There will be code people can steal from my IMAP server.  I currently
have the KERBEROS_V4 mechanism implemented and someone has expressed
interest in providing me with an implementation of the GSSAPI
mechanism.

Did anyone else catch that this specification uses the "imap" service
keys instead of the more tradtional "pop" service keys?  I originally
considered this a feature, but recent interest in using the IMAP
authentication mechanisms for a protocol not related to mail has
caused me to make the server principal name a changable parameter in
my implementation.  Should I change the sentence:

             a string identifying an IMAP4 authentication mechanism,
             such as defined by [IMAP4-AUTH]

to something like:

             a string identifying an IMAP4 authentication mechanism,
             such as defined by [IMAP4-AUTH], except the string "imap"
	     is replaced by "pop" wherever it occurs in a server
	     authentication identity.

--
_.John G. Myers		Internet: jgm+@CMU.EDU
			LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up