Re: [pop3ext] UIDL response to CAPA command

Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@oracle.com> Sat, 17 November 2012 08:02 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:02:36 -0800
From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@oracle.com>
To: Randall Gellens <randy@qti.qualcomm.com>
Cc: Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com>, pop3ext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pop3ext] UIDL response to CAPA command

Sorry, I couldn't tell if you were agreeing with Chris or not.

I understand how it works for capabilities that have parameters.

What I don't understand is what the rules are for capabilities that
don't have parameters.

Let's try the simple yes or no question...

Does RFC 2449 allow the UIDL capability to be missing from a CAPA
response before authentication, but included in a CAPA response
after authentication?

The spec says:

   Capabilities available in the AUTHORIZATION state MUST be announced
   in both states.

UIDL is not available in the AUTHORIZATION state, only the TRANSACTION
state, so the above doesn't apply.

UIDL has no arguments, so all the rules about arguments don't apply.

Are there other rules in the spec that I'm missing?