Re: [pop3ext] UIDL response to CAPA command

Randall Gellens <randy@qti.qualcomm.com> Sat, 17 November 2012 08:23 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:23:21 -0800
To: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon@oracle.com>
From: Randall Gellens <randy@qti.qualcomm.com>
Cc: Chris Newman <chris.newman@oracle.com>, pop3ext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [pop3ext] UIDL response to CAPA command

Hi Bill,

At 12:02 AM -0800 11/17/12, Bill Shannon wrote:

>  Sorry, I couldn't tell if you were agreeing with Chris or not.

My apologies.  I agree with Chris.  Sorry for not being clear.

>  I understand how it works for capabilities that have parameters.
>
>  What I don't understand is what the rules are for capabilities that
>  don't have parameters.

The capability description indicates in which states the capability
is announced.

>  Let's try the simple yes or no question...
>
>  Does RFC 2449 allow the UIDL capability to be missing from a CAPA
>  response before authentication, but included in a CAPA response
>  after authentication?

No.  The description for it says it is announced in both states.

>  The spec says:
>
>     Capabilities available in the AUTHORIZATION state MUST be announced
>     in both states.
>
>  UIDL is not available in the AUTHORIZATION state, only the TRANSACTION
>  state, so the above doesn't apply.

The UIDL capability is announced in both states.  The UIDL command is
only available in TRANSACTION state.

>  UIDL has no arguments, so all the rules about arguments don't apply.
>
>  Are there other rules in the spec that I'm missing?

Let me know if what I've said is unclear or ambiguous.