Re: [port-srv-reg] "xmp" service type and the unified IANA Service Name and Port Number Registry

Bobby Krupczak <rdk@krupczak.org> Wed, 24 August 2011 18:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:29:46 -0400
From: Bobby Krupczak <rdk@krupczak.org>
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Cc: Bobby Krupczak <rdk@krupczak.org>, port-srv-reg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [port-srv-reg] "xmp" service type and the unified IANA Service Name and Port Number Registry

Hi!

> This view is not held by all parties involved in this issue.
>
> My view is that getservbyname provides the same level of indirection
> inside a host that SRV records provide between hosts. In specific,
> modifications of the /etc/services tables does occur and is valid.
> As a result, I would not suggest that you change to using the port
> number directly.

I agree with you (Joe) but didnt think it was worth quibbling with
Stuart on his assertions.

> My position, FWIW, is that IANA assignments were the only official
> ones, and that they will take precedent - that is what I have
> already recommended to IANA. Whether the SRV name or port name is
> changed, there are changes to code required.

Yes, I agree with you.

> The goal of this exchange is to minimize the impact of resolving the
> unification of IANA port names and SRV names. My recommendation to
> IANA is that IANA assignments should take precedence if a true
> conflict remains.

And thats what I assert as well lest we get into potentially
dangerous precedence setting behavior here.  I thought I was the only
one who was thinking that way.  I feel bad for the Russian XMP guy but
he did not register with IANA and yeah I know about the ports/services
difference.

> >And, getting back to your "xmp" example, "xmp" isn't even in the
> /etc/services table on OS X
> Stuart - perhaps you can encourage Apple to update their
> /etc/services to track the IANA list more closely. Regardless of
> similar flaws in other OSes, this list should be updated regularly.

I enjoyed this Apple-is-the-center-of-the-world thinking but wasnt
going to call him out on it -- I'm glad you did.  I've been in the
field (industry->academic->industry) long enough to have seem several
paradigms come and go.  I'm sure more elder-statesmen have seen even
more.  Apple is the paradigm du jour and it will be some other one in
the future.  Thats why I'm kind of enjoying the discussion.

Thanks for the note.  I consider this a "quality-loss" on my part to
paraphrase college-football-speak.  :)  Really, the impact for me is
pretty negligible but it was the presumption in Stuart's email that
really got my goat.

Besides, I see that Adobe has claimed XMP (Google "xmp" not his
suggested phrase) and see that Adobe links fill up the first page.  My
guess is that the Adobe intellectual property lawyers may take an
interest. :)

Bobby