Re: [port-srv-reg] "xmp" service type and the unified IANA Service Name and Port Number Registry

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Wed, 24 August 2011 16:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:32:38 -0700
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: Bobby Krupczak <rdk@krupczak.org>
Cc: port-srv-reg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [port-srv-reg] "xmp" service type and the unified IANA Service Name and Port Number Registry

Hi, Bobby,

A point of clarification:

On 8/23/2011 7:54 AM, Bobby Krupczak wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Your email certainly caught me off guard and I had to think about it for
> a few moments to get what you were writing about.
>
> Let me see if I understand this.
>
> Apple (under the guise of some quasi-independent but non-official group)
> creates its own service name registry for use with Bonjour.

In the IETF, parties act as individuals, not representatives of
companies. SRV records are defined in RFC 2782 as an open Internet draft
standard, and to help record the TXT records used for that service
Stuart offered to create an unofficial registry of SRV names until such
time as IANA could subsume that role.

There has been an ongoing desire to unify the IANA port names and SRV
names, which has taken several years to materialize. Although Stuart did
avoid conflicts in previously assigned names during his assignments,
IANA did not track his registry because it was unofficial - even though
in widespread use.

> Apple then decides it wants to make it official, gets the IETF to
> combine it with their own *official* service/port registry.

The team that is working on this unification - which includes Stuart,
myself, and a number of others in the IETF - *asked* Stuart to help
resolve this issue -- *as an individual*. The team includes the authors
of the following draft (soon to be published as RFC 6335, with an
updated note on the resolution of this unification):
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-10

> Now, Apple wants *me* to change the name of my service that was
> registered according to the rules and registered with the official
> organization and registry.

We are *all* (all of us on the ports document team) asking. We're asking
BOTH parties - IANA assignees and SRV assignees - whether they are
willing to change, and what the impact is.

Again, recognizing that (IMO) IANA assignments should take precedence,
we're trying to also recognize that a voluntary resolution would be
preferable.

Joe Touch
IANA Port Review Team Lead