Re: [Pppext] Future of the PPP WG

Jacni Qin <jacniq@gmail.com> Tue, 13 September 2011 03:52 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:54:47 +0800
From: Jacni Qin <jacniq@gmail.com>
To: Ignacio Goyret <i.goyret@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: pppext@ietf.org, Vernon Schryver <vjs@rhyolite.com>
Subject: Re: [Pppext] Future of the PPP WG

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 10:17 PM, Ignacio Goyret <
i.goyret@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> At 02:22 PM 9/11/2011 +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> >> From: Glen Zorn <glenzorn@gmail.com>

> >> Well, this is all good fun, in a US/Euro-centric kind of way, but it
> >> would be good to remember that in a very large part of the world our
> >> "theme song" is a still a vital part of the Internet & is likely to
> >> remain so for a considerable period of time.  This email will make the
> >> first hop of its journey over (the much maligned) PPPoE, for example;
> >> not everybody lives in advanced countries such as S. Korea (the
> >> connectivity of which should make both the French and Americans hang
> >> their heads in shame).  In short, PPP is far from obsolete.
> >
> >I don't think the thrust of that claim is entirely accurate.  Do people
> >outside advanced countries use dialup modems or wireless?
>

> Actually, a *lot* of people still use dialup modems and in most cases,
> they don't even notice. One simple example: many point-of-sale devices
> (pretty much everywhere on the planet, including the US) do a quick
> V.21/V.22/V.23 dialup call to authorize a credit or debit card charge.
>
> And guess what: pretty much all of them use good, ol' PPP.
>
> Another device which is not as well spread in the US but is available
> in many, many countries is a little USB device that links up to 3G
> networks, allowing full IP traffic. Guess what: they also use PPP and
> the same dialup framework (even if there are no weeee-weeee, hiss-hiss
> sounds).

Right, the PPP/PPPoE has much wider scope of applications,
For example, in my place, even in the context of LAN, xPON access, my ISPs
still chose PPPoE instead of "IPoE", since it's far from deliverable for
commercial services.
Actually the protocols (e.g. DHCPv6, SLAAC) are all good enough, but from
operational
perpective, I mean for example AAA, that mode is not mature.

BTW, as a simple reference, I happen to be right now in a country
> that would clearly fall in the "outside advanced countries" and,
> paraphrasing Glen, this email will start its trip using PPP over 3G.

You got the point, me too, I'm using PPP over UMTS to send this message. ;-)

Cheers,
Jacni