Re: [Pppext] Future of the PPP WG

Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net> Fri, 09 September 2011 23:49 UTC

From: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 01:51:01 +0200
To: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
Cc: IETF PPP Extensions <pppext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Pppext] Future of the PPP WG

OK, I stand corrected. I was thinking of the charter that had existed before and during my tenure as AD:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/pppext/charters?item=charter-pppext-2006-07-03.txt

It seems a few sentences were added in 2009, in particular the unfortunate text that says:

"The group is not expected to create new specifications, and if a need for such work comes up, a recharter is required."

This looks like Jari's handiwork, he just loves to recharter WGs ;-)

With this new sentence, yes, it looks like pppext is unnecessarily hamstrung from advancing enhancements that the group does *not* think are of questionable value.

- Mark