[Pppext] Future of the PPP WG

Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com> Thu, 08 September 2011 22:22 UTC

From: Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:24:24 -0400
To: IETF PPP Extensions <pppext@ietf.org>
Subject: [Pppext] Future of the PPP WG

Hi,

In case you were unaware, I am now the Chair of PPPEXT.

Generally, there has been little activity in this WG for some years.
Although I believe it serves a useful purpose in examining PPP
proposals, possibly that purpose could be served by just continuing
the mailing list. In any case, it seems likely that, if the situation
continues unchanged, the WG will be dissolved sometime early next
year.

In the process of producing RFC 6361, it became very apparent that the
PPP security RFCs, such as they are, meet few, if any, modern IETF
security guidelines. I believe that there should be an update of PPP
security or, if an effort to update them fails for some reason, then
at least old / inadequate / unimplemented PPP security RFCs should be
declared historic.

My suggestion is that PPPEXT re-Charter to include a goal such as the
above and I'm willing to try drafting a new Charter but welcome
suggestions and comments on all this.

One question is, should PPPEXT have a 1 hour meeting at the November
IETF meeting? I think that would be the best way to come to consensus
on this but obviously only if enough people would plan to actually
attend. So, I'd be interested in who is would attend and any opinions
for or against such a meeting.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3@gmail.com