Re: [ppsp] PPSP WG Update

Picconi Fabio <Fabio.Picconi@technicolor.com> Thu, 14 June 2012 11:42 UTC

From: Picconi Fabio <Fabio.Picconi@technicolor.com>
To: ppsp <ppsp@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:39:58 +0200
acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Subject: Re: [ppsp] PPSP WG Update

Today I had some time to simulate the average cases overhead of the two chunk addressing mechanisms we've been discussing. However, before I started coding, the following popped into my mind:

As Arno pointed out before, if we assume that a peer sends very few updates per second to its neighbors, e.g., it waits until it receives 32K of contiguous data before notifying its neighbors, then the update traffic for a 1 Mbps stream is negligible (less than 1%) regardless of the chunk addressing mechanism.

Conversely, if a peer sends an update message to its neighbors for every chunk it receives, then the overhead is the same for bins or range lists, as each notification refers to a single chunk.

There is a trade-off between these two possibilities: in a live streaming application, delaying updates until one receives a full 32K block (to save signaling bandwidth) increases the chunk delivery delay. Notice, however, that the chunk addressing mechanism seems to be irrelevant.

In a progressive download application the diffusion delay is not an issue since the download rate is higher than the playback rate.

So I guess the question again is: what do we gain by using bins instead of range lists?

Fabio