[ppsp] AD review of draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement-05

Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com> Tue, 18 October 2011 04:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:29:30 -0400
From: Wesley Eddy <wes@mti-systems.com>
To: "ppsp@ietf.org" <ppsp@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [ppsp] AD review of draft-ietf-ppsp-problem-statement-05

I've completed AD review of this document, and while the content is
complete, I don't think it's editorially quite ready for IETF Last Call
and IESG review.  My comments below are intended to help get it there.
In some cases, I indicated suggested changes with an arrow "from -> to"
between the original "from" text and the suggested "to" text.

While it seems like a lot, most of these are actually pretty minor changes.

(1) In the abstract (and possibly the title too), P2P should be spelled
out as peer-to-peer.  In the abstract, "PPSP" should be defined before
use since this paragraph will appear in announcements (e.g. for IETF LC)
and other places.  Note that PPSP is singular ("Protocol", not
"Protocols", but the last sentence of the abstract and the title of
Section 4 use plural).  I think it would be good to be more clear here
and say something more like "proposes a Peer to Peer Streaming Protocol
(PPSP) including tracker and peer signaling components, and discusses
the scope and uses cases of PPSP."

(2) section 1, 2nd paragraph - "This is less challenging for highly
increasing capability on hardware."   I think this sentence is vague at
best and likely misleading.  The sentence prior to it talks about
network efficiency without defining in what sense this is meant (is it
efficient use of bandwidth, low-latency, low load on servers, low power
usage, etc.).  The type of efficiency meant here should be clarified,
and consider either removing or further clarifying the sentence
following it about hardware capabilities.

(3) section 1, 3rd paragraph - Does "source" here refer to the original
source of the media being streamed, the root node actually transmitting
stream, or something else?  I think "heterogeneous kinds of terminals"
would be more clear as "heterogeneous types of peer or client device
platforms."?

(4) section 1, 4th paragraph - "lacking of an" -> "lack of an"

(5) section 1, 2nd to last paragraph - when "PPSP" is first used, define it.

(6) section 2 - The definition of Chunk is pretty non-specific; for
instance, as-used in PPSP, is a chunk intended to fit in a single
transmitted packet or is it generally a larger unit of several kB?  It's
also unclear what's meant by "partitioned streaming" here, as that term
is not used or defined elsewhere in the document as to how it differs
from just "streaming".

(7) section 2 - In the swarm definition, I think it would be reasonable
to say that they "distribute chunks of the same content", in order to
tie the swarm definition into that other defined term.

(8) why is ALTO's problem statement (RFC 5693) listed as normative?  I
don't believe it really is normative to this PPSP document, though it's
certainly informative.

(9) Section 3.1, last paragraph.  We talk about PPSP here as if it
already exists in a usable form.  Instead of "can" we probably need to
say "should be able to", for instance, and there are other similar
changes in this paragraph that should not mislead someone into thinking
a PPSP product is already in existence and does these things.

(10) Section 3.2 - "P2P-type is accounting for a large portion" ->
"systems using P2P account for a large portion".

(11) Section 3.2 - "vast of same" -> "vastly the same"?

(12) Section 3.2 - "contents, increases" -> "contents, and increases"

(13) Section 3.2 - "CDN provider" -> "CDN providers"

(14) Section 3.2 - "can be either HTTP or PPSP" -> "could be via
something like traditional HTTP requests, or could use streaming setup
via PPSP."?

(15) Section 3.3 - "seventeen millions" -> "seventeen million", and
"more and more studies" -> "multiple prior studies"

(16) Section 3.3 - "lower and costly" -> "lower rate, and costly in
terms of energy consumption"?

(17) Section 3.3 - "relatively frequest to exchange" -> "exchanged
relatively frequently"

(18) Section 3.3 - I do not understand the sentence "The new-added
information should help the tracker/peer to make the decision".
Consider removing this or finding a way to clarify what it means, if
it's necessary to keep.

(19) Section 3.3 - "maybe requires a new expression on "bitmap"" -> "may
require alternative methods for distributing bitmap information"?

(20) Section 3.4 - "resource-constraint" -> "resource-constrained" in
the title and text

(21) Section 3.4 - "set top box" -> "set top boxes (STBs)"

(22) Section 3.4 - this should be clarified to distinguish between
whether the resource that's constrained is the persistent storage or RAM
on the devices

(23) Section 4 - "are belonging" -> "belong"

(24) Section 4 - In the description of push-based and hybrid modes, it's
unclear how peers find the head node or how they find each other
compared to how they find the tracker in a pull-based mode.  This
probably requires a brief description.

(25) Section 4 - Instead of saying:
  "PPSP is targeted to standardize the signaling protocols in this
tracker-based architectures for supporting both live and VoD streaming."
I think it be more accurate to say:
  "PPSP includes standard signaling protocols for tracker-based
architectures that support either live or offline streaming."

(26) Section 4 - "In detail, PPSP designs -> "The PPSP design includes""

(27) Section 5.1 - The first paragraph needs to be rewritten, since it
seems more likely to refer to content providers (selling bits of media)
rather than "vendors" that we usually refer to as people selling boxes.
  I think the picture is clear, but the text is not.  Note that the
super-node concept was brought up in this paragraph without any
explanation or definition of what we mean by it in PPSP.

(28) Section 5.3 - "With PPSP Peers" -> "With PPSP, peers"

(29) Section 5.4 - CDS is not defined

(30) Section 5.5 - I understand the intent, but the first two paragraphs
here need to be cleaned up and clarified.  The figure is very clear; the
text isn't.

(31) The document should consistently use either "P2P" or "p2p"

(32) Many of the Informative References are only URLs, and I suspect
this RFC will live on much longer than most of those URLs.  I think that
wherever it's reasonable, those URLs should be replaced with more stable
references.  I understand that this won't be possible in all cases.

Thanks for bearing with these in order to progress this document.

--
Wes Eddy
MTI Systems