Re: [ppsp] Call for WG consensus on Tracker Protocol encoding

"Mario Nunes" <mario.nunes@inov.pt> Thu, 13 November 2014 13:51 UTC

From: Mario Nunes <mario.nunes@inov.pt>
To: 'João Pedro Taveira' <joao.p.taveira@gmail.com>, "'Huangyihong (Rachel)'" <rachel.huang@huawei.com>, 'Zongning' <zongning@huawei.com>, ppsp@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 13:50:55 -0000
Subject: Re: [ppsp] Call for WG consensus on Tracker Protocol encoding

Hi all

I support Joao’s, opinion on text based messages.

In ITU-T there is a long record of binary encoding due to bandwidth constrains but in IETF there is a large support for text based, due to its higher readability and simplicity for debugging.

Concerning the syntax of the messages I see at least three alternatives:

- SDP

- XML

- JSON

SDP is very successful e.g. for SIP but is not used for new protocols for some time now

Between XML and JSONB I definitely support JSON for a number of reasons,  namely because it is ligher and more readable than XML, and has more support in IETF, as you can read in this article:

 <http://www.internetsociety.org/articles/using-json-ietf-protocols> http://www.internetsociety.org/articles/using-json-ietf-protocols

Best regard

Mário Nunes