Re: [precis] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7564 (4568)

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Thu, 05 May 2016 01:19 UTC

To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 19:19:09 -0600
Cc: Peter Saint-Andre <peter@andyet.com>, precis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [precis] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7564 (4568)

Something along the lines of the proposed text makes sense to me, and I
plan to incorporate such text into 7564bis. I might prefer slightly
different wording, such as:

    o  Preparation primarily entails ensuring that the characters in an
       individual string are allowed by the underlying PRECIS string
       class, and sometimes also entails applying one or more of the
       rules specified for a particular string class or profile thereof.
       Preparation can be appropriate for constrained devices that can to
       some extent restrict the characters in a string to a limited
       repertoire but that do not have the processing power or onboard
       memory to perform operations such as Unicode normalization.
       However, preparation does not ensure that an input string conforms
       to all of the rules for a string class or profile thereof.

Peter