Subject: Re: [precis] RFC 8264 / 8265 Order of rules
From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Crovella <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 12:40:46 -0600
List-Id: Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings <precis.ietf.org>

On 3/14/18 10:04 AM, Paul Crovella wrote:
> Followup question on
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/precis/current/msg01445.html
> 
>> implementations should follow the order of rules in Section 7 of RFC 8264.
> 
> Should string class validation then be moved from the preparation step
> of all profiles to the end of enforcement? I don't know whether
> there'd be a practical effect on profiles using the FreeformClass
> string class (OpaqueString and RFC 8266's Nickname), or if there's the
> potential to be, but it'd be nice to know where to do things.

The intent in my head when working on RFC 8265 & RFC 8266 was to define
the set of rules for a profile and then in each subsection (preparation,
enforcement, comparison) specify each rule to be applied for that
operation, without having them be additive (i.e., don't say in the
enforcement operation than you first do everything in preparation, then
some things in addition). Clearly, this did *not* get translated into
the final text because I failed in my responsibility as a spec author.

I will send proposed text for errata to this list sometime soon.

Peter