Re: [precis] draft-whited-precis-test-vectors-00

"Tom Worster" <fsb@thefsb.org> Thu, 06 December 2018 16:12 UTC

From: Tom Worster <fsb@thefsb.org>
To: Sam Whited <sam@samwhited.com>
Cc: precis@ietf.org, Marc Blanchet <246aberdeen@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 11:12:49 -0500
Subject: Re: [precis] draft-whited-precis-test-vectors-00

Hi Sam,

Two points.

First, I also think this work is valuable but I don't understand how the
ID is supposed to proceed. The point of bringing it to IETF is to get
its authority behind the statement that these specific vectors test
conformance to the PRECIS RFCs. How can the IETF give this without
restarting the WG to push the ID forwards as a Standards Track RFC? I
don't think the independent submission review process can.

Second, my experience is that formatting of test vectors is kinda all
over the place in RFCs. I would not look there for guidance. Idk what
XML format you refer to but I wouldn't want to go down any XML road as
either producer or consumer. I suggest you devise the simplest
machine-readable file format that you can imagine and publish it
yourself, e.g. as a Github gist. Anyone can then easily transform that
into any other format, for documentation, for a unit test data provider,
or whatever. I think this serves your and our needs best even in the
case that IETF would adopt the ID, since you can use the file to
generate IETF-format docs.

For example, I was recently using this wonderful text file
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/examples/UTF-8-test.txt which is
both documentation and machine readable. Your ID is machine readable
(what isn't these days?) but it isn't so simple to either read or write.
In your position I'd look at UCD files for format ideas.

Tom

--
Tom Worster
skype: spinitron.tom  -  857 210 3243  - tom@spinitron.com