Re: [precis] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7700 (4570)

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Sat, 03 September 2016 21:33 UTC

To: Sam Whited <sam@samwhited.com>
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 15:33:46 -0600
Cc: precis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [precis] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7700 (4570)

On 12/23/15 8:09 AM, Sam Whited wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After submitting this yesterday I had a discussion with Christian
> Schudt about it and he pointed out that you probably want to be able
> to display the text output by the enforce operation, and therefore
> this was most likely a deliberate change. With that in mind, I'd like
> to ammend my suggestions somewhat:
>
> The directionality rule should still be removed from the list of rules
> in section 2.3 as well as the list in section 2.4 (there is no
> directionality rule, so having it in the order of operations is just
> confusing), and section 2 item 3 should be updated to clarify that
> Unicode default case folding only needs to be applied during the
> comparison step (right now it states that it "MUST be applied" which
> is ambiguous since it doesn't list what step (or steps) need to apply
> it and makes it seem like it should be part of the enforcement step).

Agreed. I plan to add the following text:

Section 2.1

OLD

    3.  Case Mapping Rule: Apply Unicode Default Case Folding, as defined
        in the Unicode Standard [Unicode] (at the time of this writing,
        the algorithm is specified in Chapter 3 of [Unicode7.0]).  In
        applications that prohibit conflicting nicknames, this rule helps
        to reduce the possibility of confusion by ensuring that nicknames
        differing only by case (e.g., "stpeter" vs. "StPeter") would not
        be presented to a human user at the same time.

NEW

    3.  Case Mapping Rule: Apply Unicode Default Case Folding, as defined
        in the Unicode Standard [Unicode] (at the time of this writing,
        the algorithm is specified in Chapter 3 of [Unicode7.0]).  In
        applications that prohibit conflicting nicknames, this rule helps
        to reduce the possibility of confusion by ensuring that nicknames
        differing only by case (e.g., "stpeter" vs. "StPeter") would not
        be presented to a human user at the same time.  (As explained
        below, this is typically appropriate only for comparison, not for
        enforcement.)

Section 2.3

OLD

    1.  Additional Mapping Rule
    2.  Normalization Rule
    3.  Normalization Rule

NEW

    1.  Additional Mapping Rule
    2.  Normalization Rule

    Note: An entity SHOULD NOT apply the Case Mapping Rule during
    enforcement, because typically it is appropriate only during
    comparison.

Peter