Re: [precis] names and usernames

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 27 February 2017 01:48 UTC

Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:26:30 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, precis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [precis] names and usernames

--On Sunday, February 26, 2017 17:21 -0700 Peter Saint-Andre
<stpeter@stpeter.im> wrote:

> I'm still waiting to hear from experts with knowledge of Indic
> and eastern Arabic scripts. However, I have been corresponding
> offlist with someone who has knowledge of the second issue I
> raised...

> According to my correspondent, the challenge is representation
> of some given names, not family names (e.g., legislation in
> Taiwan stipulates that a given name can include any character
> that has ever appeared in a dictionary, even dictionaries
> published hundreds of years ago).

Entirely possible that I misunderstood the precise nature of the
problem.  From the standpoint of what should be allowed in an
identifier that people would expect to reflect their names,
whether then name is a family name, a personal name, a tribal or
can name, or a patronymic or matronymic whose seem to be me to
make little difference.

> John, forgive my ignorance, but it seems to me that the plane
> is irrelevant here: in PRECIS we base decisions on code point
> properties. Thus, for instance, any code point whose Unicode
> general category is "Lo" (other letter) is allowed in the
> PRECIS IdentifierClass (per Section 9.1 of RFC 7564),
> regardless of the plane. As an example, a code point like
> U+2F804 (CJK COMPATIBILITY IDEOGRAPH-2F804) would be allowed,
> even though it is in the Supplementary Ideographic Plane.

If I recall, there is another issue with compatibility
ideographs (i.e., theu may or may not be a good example), but
your statement above should certainly be correct.  My reason for
mentioning the BMP is that we have recently again heard from
someone who wants to confine an I18n library to work in UTF-16,
apparently without surrogates.  While any problems of that sort
would certainly be bugs, that sort of UTF-16 discussion leaves
me with the sense that higher planes may be a bit less useful in
practice than the BMP.   That is not, however, a protocol
specification problem in any way.

> My correspondent said it should be fine to disallow
> compatibility decomposable characters such as U+328A (CIRCLED
> IDEOGRAPH MOON) because according to him they would not be
> used in given or family names.

Whether the rules of IDNA2008 are good enough is another matter
-- if nothing else, we had to work with the properties Unicode
gave us -- but the basic intent was certainly to disallow any
code point that, visually and in general understanding, was a
circled variation on a base character or a font variation that
was not normally considered a different base character

> All of this is second-hand, so take it with a grain of salt.

FWIW, consistent with my knowledge.

    john