Re: [privacydir] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-mayer-do-not-track-00.tx

Lucy Lynch <llynch@civil-tongue.net> Tue, 08 March 2011 14:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 07:00:46 -0800
From: Lucy Lynch <llynch@civil-tongue.net>
To: privacydir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [privacydir] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-mayer-do-not-track-00.tx

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> On 08/03/11 13:31, Chappelle, Kasey, VF-Group wrote:
>> Good question - perhaps someone with more technical expertise than I
>> have can help.
>
> That'd be good.
>
>> But there are lots of reasons why site owners would need
>> to track their own visitors. Just off the top of my head, where would we
>> put things like state management? Maintaining shopping carts from page
>> to page or on subsequent visits, for example, requires you to track a
>> visitor to your site across pages and sessions.
>
> Fair enough. However, I suspect that site owners, (like all of
> us really) perhaps didn't pay so much attention to privacy in the
> past, so it could well be that some of those 1st party tracking
> practices are also privacy-invasive and perhaps not as necessary
> as they're assumed to be.

One of the key arguments I've heard advanced re: first party
tracking of authenticated users has to do with fraud prevention.
At the recent RSA in San Francisco several panels dealt with user
profiling for security, see for example:

https://cm.rsaconference.com/US11/catalog/modifySession.do?SESSION_ID=3210&back=true

It isn't clear to me how much users know/understand about this kind of data
collection and how they would feel about it if they did. It also isn't clear to
me if these organizations are out-sourcing the analysis of customer data.

This is shaping up as one of the possible counter arguements to do-not-track.

- Lucy