Re: [privacydir] getting things started

"Polk, William T." <william.polk@nist.gov> Tue, 11 January 2011 15:06 UTC

From: "Polk, William T." <william.polk@nist.gov>
To: Deirdre Mulligan <dkm@ischool.berkeley.edu>, Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>, "npdoty@gmail.com" <npdoty@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:08:26 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "privacydir@ietf.org" <privacydir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [privacydir] getting things started

Hi Deirdre,

There is no fixed timeline on any of this - this is more of an experiment.  We can't take more concrete steps, like a BCP that adds privacy considerations to the required scope of Security Considerations, until we build rough consensus that the experiment worked.  There are certainly other holes to fill, but Sean and I see this as the low hanging fruit in the frighteningly complex privacy space.

It is probably premature to move on to decisional documents (BCPs and standards track specifications).  Design teams to develop the initial drafts is an excellent idea, and will certainly be considered.  In the end, we will still need to build IETF-wide consensus, though.  At this stage, I suspect the community is more likely to support experimental documents.

We would be happy to have input from your students... identifying drafts that have security implications and evaluating the impact is critical to the success of the experiment.  We would prefer to have their input funneled through you and your colleague, though.  We are being pretty ruthless about limiting subscribers to the core team right now.

Thanks,

Tim Polk