[proto-team] Re: PROTO - proceeding on adding PROTO shepherds to the tracker

Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org> Thu, 20 July 2006 22:06 UTC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:05:15 -0700
To: mankin@psg.com
Cc: proto-team@ietf.org, rpelletier@isoc.com, iesg@ietf.org, henrik@levkowetz.com
Subject: [proto-team] Re: PROTO - proceeding on adding PROTO shepherds to the tracker

Overall I support the proposal and my thanks for your work towards
getting this done.  My apologies for taking so long to review this as
you requested; I added it to my todo list but you know how that
sometimes works :)

My review/nits follow

1. WG Document Awaiting Review, Substates

First, I don't know if we can accurately reflect the number/kind of
reviews a document needs as a sub-state.  Besides MIB Doctor reviews,
we could expect/require security directorate reviews, Apps review
team response (Eric Burger is putting together such a team), or
reviews by particular experts (I have in the past sought out
particular experts, e.g. in i18n, to request reviews).

Second, Another reason to avoid substates is that not all reviews are
blocking.  A review from a particular expert might be sought before
WG last call, but if it doesn't happen in time, the WG might go to
the next stage anyway and still hope to get the review.

Thus, I recommend that we allow shepherds to use free text to
describe why the document is awaiting review and by whom, and whether
this is truly blocking or a courtesy to wait a couple weeks in this
state.

2.  In WG Last Call

I don't see a need for sub-states here.

3. I don't understand the proposed "groups" and permissions
mechanism.  What are some examples of useful groups?  Who would
administer them?

Thanks,
Lisa