[proto-team] Re: PROTO - proceeding on adding PROTO shepherds to the tracker

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Fri, 21 July 2006 00:40 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 02:33:06 +0200
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: proto-team@ietf.org, rpelletier@isoc.com, iesg@ietf.org, mankin@psg.com
Subject: [proto-team] Re: PROTO - proceeding on adding PROTO shepherds to the tracker

Hi Lisa,

on 2006-07-21 00:05 Lisa Dusseault said the following:
> Overall I support the proposal and my thanks for your work towards
> getting this done.  My apologies for taking so long to review this as
> you requested; I added it to my todo list but you know how that
> sometimes works :)
>
> My review/nits follow
>
> 1. WG Document Awaiting Review, Substates
>
> First, I don't know if we can accurately reflect the number/kind of
> reviews a document needs as a sub-state.  Besides MIB Doctor reviews,
> we could expect/require security directorate reviews, Apps review
> team response (Eric Burger is putting together such a team), or
> reviews by particular experts (I have in the past sought out
> particular experts, e.g. in i18n, to request reviews).
>
> Second, Another reason to avoid substates is that not all reviews are
> blocking.  A review from a particular expert might be sought before
> WG last call, but if it doesn't happen in time, the WG might go to
> the next stage anyway and still hope to get the review.
>
> Thus, I recommend that we allow shepherds to use free text to
> describe why the document is awaiting review and by whom, and whether
> this is truly blocking or a courtesy to wait a couple weeks in this
> state.

Yes, this has already been discussing this some, and we're thinking of
separating state and additional attributes.  However, additional attributes
will have to be set and re-set, and exist in parallel, something which
doesn't really match the idea of free-text notes too well, so we're
working on an idea of state + multiple attributes separate from the
free text note field to capture this better.

> 2.  In WG Last Call
>
> I don't see a need for sub-states here.

Ok.

> 3. I don't understand the proposed "groups" and permissions
> mechanism.  What are some examples of useful groups?  Who would
> administer them?

The primary groups are 'ADs' and 'WG Chairs'.  This is an attribute
needed to separate the ability of ADs and Chairs to do different
things in the tracker.

I'll add an example to make this clearer.

> Thanks,
> Lisa

Thanks for the review :-)

	Henrik