Re: [provreg] domain's ds is affected by domain's ns ?

Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de> Fri, 10 January 2014 08:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 09:50:52 +0100
From: Klaus Malorny <Klaus.Malorny@knipp.de>
To: provreg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [provreg] domain's ds is affected by domain's ns ?

On 10.01.2014 03:36, 齐超 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a question about the relationship between domain's ns and DS.
>
> In RFC 5910, domain's DS can be created with domain and its ns. But in epp,
> domain-ns and ds may be operated(added/updated/removed) by different commands
> (RFC5910\RFC5731).
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1、registrar can create a domain and its DS without NS ?
>
> 2、when registrar rem the last ns in <domain:update>, if the domain already
> has DS, will epp server return a failed response and suggest registrar delete
> the domain's DS at first ?
>
> Is there any rules or good practice ?
>
> Please give some advice. Thanks a lot.
>

> Best Regards.

Hi 齐超,

I would clearly distinguish between the data management (via EPP) and the zone
publishing. With the first, there are no real dependencies between the name
servers and the DS data -- they are simply properties of the domain. Otherwise
you would not only run into problems in the described case, but also if the
domain is put on client or server hold. It only makes everything more
complicated -- both for the registry and the registrar -- with no real benefit.

Instead, it is much easier to put the logic in the zone generation that the DS
records are published if and only if there is at least one NS record to publish,
which in turn depends on whether any name servers are defined and the domain
shall actually be published as such in respect to the hold states and redemption
period. Similarly, you probably will publish glue records for in-zone hosts of
the domain under similar conditions (which is, by the way, far more complicated
due to cascading effects).

So we do not have such dependencies in our own registry software, and I am not
aware of any other that has them.

Regards,

Klaus