Re: [proxies] Review of draft-hoeper-proxythreat-01.txt (Part 1)

Klaas Wierenga <klaas@wierenga.net> Sat, 15 November 2008 12:18 UTC

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:16:34 +0100
From: Klaas Wierenga <klaas@wierenga.net>
To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
Cc: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, proxies@ietf.org, katrin.hoeper@nist.gov
Subject: Re: [proxies] Review of draft-hoeper-proxythreat-01.txt (Part 1)
Sender: proxies-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I am not very much in favor of mixing security considerations with
operational considerations of proxies. It is my understanding that these
are of a different nature. I would prefer to work from the assumption in
this document that we stay out of any debate about whether proxies are a
good or a bad thing but rather take it as a given and analyse the
security and privacy threats that result.

An operational considerations document would be a welcome separate
document, but let's not mix these two. In a way the latter document to
some extent will explain how the security threats can be overcome (in
addition to other operational considerations).

Or to put in yet another way, I believe the former document is more of a
theorteical exercise whereas the second is dealing with the practical
impact of this exercise.

Klaas