[proxies] Recap for -00 draft

Katrin Hoeper <katrin.hoeper@nist.gov> Fri, 02 May 2008 14:07 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 10:07:22 -0400
To: proxies@ietf.org
From: Katrin Hoeper <katrin.hoeper@nist.gov>
Subject: [proxies] Recap for -00 draft
Sender: proxies-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

it's good to see that we already had some good discussions on this list.
I would like to briefly recap and outline next steps for a first draft.

So far we seem to have collected:

I. USE CASE
1) a worldwide WLAN that enables roaming registered users to access
information free of charge
(thanks Stefan for your detailed description)

II. THREATS:
1) proxies can listen to traffic
2) insert fake accounting  packets

III. FEASIBILIY
-easy to sniff traffic for proxies
-most attributes readable due to AAA hop-by-hop security

IV. SEVERITY
-depends on the content of the exchanged data
When data contains valuable user information (such as the user's
age), this information can be correlated with the user identity and
then be exploited.
-depends on national laws and regulations
-depends on whether offered services are free or paid

-some providers seem to be more worried about malicious insiders and
outsider sniffers rather than proxies

V. SOLUTIONS
There have been some proposals but I'd like to keep this discussion
for later on, after we decided if and how we should continue. (see my
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/proxies/current/msg00001.html>previous
post)

NEXT STEPS & CALL FOR COMMENTS
I will now go ahead and put together a -00 draft about items I-IV
using our
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/proxies/current/msg00000.html>Philadelphia
discussion,
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/proxies/current/msg00001.html>ppt
slides, and the discussion on this list as input.

Please send other information that you would like to be included in
the 00 draft to the list. Also let me know if you disagree with
previous discussions (items I-IV, not solutions!). Off course,
everybody is more than welcome to volunteer as a co-author. Just let me know.

We definitely need more use cases. I will try to cover all aspects
listed under IV. Severity in the use cases. It would be very helpful
if people could send me more "real implementation" examples of
networks using proxies, especially the architecture of such networks
and the particular functions of proxies in them (e.g. what data do
they need to know).

  Katrin