[proxies] [IETF Proxy] Next Steps

Katrin Hoeper <katrin.hoeper@nist.gov> Wed, 16 April 2008 21:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:45:27 -0400
To: proxies@ietf.org
From: Katrin Hoeper <katrin.hoeper@nist.gov>
Subject: [proxies] [IETF Proxy] Next Steps
Sender: proxies-bounces@ietf.org

Hey everybody,

Instead of continuing our heated debate from Philadelphia, I propose
to choose a more directed & organized path [fill in jokes about
Germans] for our future proxy discussions on this list.

Before we start proposing and analyzing solutions, we first need to
evaluate if the IETF should propose a solution for problems
introduced by proxies. If we come to the conclusion "NO", the IETF
shouldn't (because there aren't any problems, or the problems are not
severe enough for network providers to demand such a solution), we
should still document and publish these results to provide a
reference for other IETF documents and to stop the never ending proxy
discussions that slow down so many WGs. If we come to the conclusion
"YES", the IETF should do something, it seems to be a good idea to
have a BOF or pick an existing WG to continue working on the
identified "proxy problems".

I propose the following next steps for our "proxy group" before IETF
72 in Dublin:

  1. Define Use Cases
-       describe typical current and future scenarios/applications in
which  proxies are used
-       describe the role and capabilities (e.g. knowledge of
information and/or keying material) of proxies and other network
entities in these use cases
-       describe network architectures of use cases

2. Define Threat Model
-       define trust model for all network entities including proxies
and their relationships to each other
-       analyze how proxies can launch attacks in the defined use
cases, i.e. what are the threats?

3. Analyze the feasibility and severity of the identified threats

After these steps are completed, we should be able to decide whether
we should continue.
I volunteer to serve as an editor for a draft covering the results of
our initial investigation.

Please post your comments to the list. Feel free to use my ppt slides
from Philadelphia as basis for your comments, but please focus on the
outlined initial steps in this message.

Especially steps 1 and 3 require input from network providers and
other hands-on people who actually work with proxy networks. We need
your feedback!

Best regards,
Katrin