Re: [Pso-discuss] Looking for a layman example on what PSO does.

chiari mario <chiari.hm@flashnet.it> Fri, 07 July 2000 18:20 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 20:13:47 +0200
To: Steve Coya <scoya@ietf.org>
From: chiari mario <chiari.hm@flashnet.it>
Subject: Re: [Pso-discuss] Looking for a layman example on what PSO does.
Cc: pso-discuss@pso.icann.org
Sender: pso-discuss-admin@pso.icann.org

Steve

thanks for your reply.
It helps, though I am trying do write a less abstract statement.

Would you say that the following statement conveys a correct understanding
of the matter of fact:

---- the Internet protocol contains numerous parameters, for example to
identify the character set of a text, or a operating system. (A character
set is a set of conventions to code a traditional alphabet, e.g. latin,
cyrillic, japanese). The values of these parameters need to be assigned
uniquely. ICANN/PSO is to make those unique assignments and to maintain a
registry of the currently assigned values.

(here I am cutting & pasting statements from IANA's web site)

mario

ps do you have a two lines definition of what a port is?