Re: [Pso-discuss] (correction) Looking for a layman example on what PSO does.

Steve Coya <scoya@ietf.org> Thu, 06 July 2000 17:38 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 13:37:51 -0400
From: Steve Coya <scoya@ietf.org>
To: chiari mario <chiari.hm@flashnet.it>
cc: pso-discuss@pso.icann.org
Subject: Re: [Pso-discuss] (correction) Looking for a layman example on what PSO does.
Sender: pso-discuss-admin@pso.icann.org

Mario,

I'm not a technical expert (or any other kind), but I can take a stab at
this.

If one were to look at the construct of certain header records (IP, TCP,
ICMP, etc), there are fields which can contain certain values. Some of
these fields define the set of permissible values from which the
appropriate value is selected/chosen. Many protocol header records include
a space for the inclusion of options,
each of which is assigned a particular value for uniqueness.

For example, in the IP header, there is a IP Version field. There are
also such things as Type of Service fields, option fields, protocol
fields, traffic class fields (in IPv6), etc.

I hope this helps.

Steve