Re: JMP> Re: job mib feedback [more explanation about attributes]

Tom Hastings <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com> Tue, 28 July 1998 07:43 UTC

Delivery-Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 03:43:13 -0400
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:38:22 -0700
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
From: Tom Hastings <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: JMP> Re: job mib feedback [more explanation about attributes]
Cc: chrisw@ilw.com, moore@cs.utk.edu, Bert Wijnen <WIJNEN@vnet.ibm.com>, Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no, scoya@ietf.org, jkrey@isi.edu, jmp@pwg.org, "David T. Perkins" <dperkins@scruznet.com>
Sender: jmp-owner@pwg.org

At 11:55 07/27/98 PDT, Keith Moore wrote:
snip ...

>> 3.The structure of the MIB is totaly "non-SNMP" like.
>>   It is the 2nd wierdest MIB I have ever seen.
>>   I have difficulty saying go ahead and publish.
>>   But... it is work of the PWG which is outside of the
>>   IETF, right? So not sure what we can/should do.
>>   I would certainly NOT let this thing go on the standards
>>   track.

To see the variations of job submission protocols for representing job
objects,
we mapped the attributes of 10 print job submission protocols to the
Job Monitoring MIB.  Please refer to draft-ietf-printmib-job-protomap-03.txt.

It shows that some job submission protocols have very few attributes and
some have a lot of attributes.  Many printers have to support more than
one job submission protocol.  The Job MIB is attempting to allow a printer
that supports multiple job submission protocols to support them with a single
MIB.  Thus the Job MIB allows a management application to query jobs that
were submitted using different job submission protocol, but that are all
in the same "queue" for the printer, and get their job attributes.

Thanks,
Tom