JMP> Re: job mib feedback

Tom Hastings <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com> Tue, 28 July 1998 03:16 UTC

Delivery-Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:16:56 -0400
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:13:15 -0700
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
From: Tom Hastings <hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com>
Subject: JMP> Re: job mib feedback
Cc: chrisw@ilw.com, moore@cs.utk.edu, Bert Wijnen <WIJNEN@vnet.ibm.com>, Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no, scoya@ietf.org, rfc-ed@isi.edu, jkrey@isi.edu, jmp@pwg.org
Sender: jmp-owner@pwg.org

At 11:55 07/27/98 PDT, Keith Moore wrote:
>Tom & Chris,
>
>The job mib was on the agenda for the IESG's Jul 16 telechat.
>It was held up because of problems with the specification.
>To wit:
>
>> It is on this weeks telechat agenda as a WG subission to go
>> out as INFORMATIONAL RFC. Number 3 below is real serious.
>>
>> 1.I get 15 warnings about unused TCs.
>>   That is acceptable... but are they used elsewere?

No, they are only used in this MIB.  But they only appear as comments
in the JmAttributeTypeTC.  We have the case of a TC "using" the 15 TCs.

We could add dummy used of these TCs, to make the warnings go away, but
the "That is acceptable" sound like we don't really have to do that.

>>   In other words do you need to keep them?

Yes, because an implementation does use the values.  These TCs are the
values of attributes that are of type enum.  Attributes can also have
integer values that count and/or octet strings that are keywords or
text strings.  The Job MIB is trying to have job attributes like
IPP has Job attributes.

>>   There are strange TCs among them, for example the
>>   JmBooleanTC, which to me does not look like a Boolean
>>   since it can have 3 values!!??
>>   And we have a standard TC for a boolean: TruthValue in RFC1903

The JmBooleanTC does have three values.  The third value is 'unknown'.
That is used for the case when the agent doean't know whether the value
is 'true' or 'false'.

>> 2.The use of MUST, MAY, SHOULD, SHALL, MUST NOT and such
>>   seems completely nonsense the me. It looks as if they
>>   capitalized evry occurence of such words.

There are 5 or so MUSTs and a large number of SHALLs.  Should we change
the 5 MUSTs to SHALL to be consistent?

There are a few sentences that have SHALL which are descriptive sentences,
rather than describing an action by the agent or the NMS (management
application).  Those descriptive sentences should have the SHALL removed.
However, shouldn't any sentence that has the agent or the NMS (management
application) as the subject of the sentence have a SHALL, if that action
is required for a conforming agent or management application?

>> 3.The structure of the MIB is totaly "non-SNMP" like.

I suspect that you are referring to the attribute mechanism which
like a 'dictionary'.

We have found that for Printers and Jobs, that the features that
various implementors implement vary so much that we couldn't have
groups of objects.  Many objects in a group would return 'empty strings',
since there was no value to go with them.

Most implementations need to be able to pick and choose between the various
attributes.  Some implement two-sided printing, some implement stapling,
some implement job names, some implement document names, some implement
multiple documents per job, some count sheets, some count impressions,
some can only count octets, etc. etc.

>>   It is the 2nd wierdest MIB I have ever seen.
>>   I have difficulty saying go ahead and publish.
>>   But... it is work of the PWG which is outside of the
>>   IETF, right? So not sure what we can/should do.
>>   I would certainly NOT let this thing go on the standards
>>   track.

See the comments from David Perkins of over a year ago (attached)
which did not object to the attribute mechanism, though he did suggest
that we make the attributes be two tables, instead of one.  We kept the
table as one, since there are some attributes that have both an integer
and a string value.  We took account of all his other comments.

The area directors rejected putting the Job MIB on the standards track
a year ago on the grounds that it was an application, not something that
managed the network.  There was no concern about the attribute mechanism
mentioned then.

>> 4.Several references may need to be changed/updated.

No doubt.  This document is over five months old.  Should we attempt to
determine which ones are out of date?