Re: [PWOT] RE: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt

"Andrew G. Malis" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com> Fri, 02 March 2001 22:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:04:19 -0500
To: Heiles Juergen <Juergen.Heiles@icn.siemens.de>
From: "Andrew G. Malis" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [PWOT] RE: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt
Cc: 'Dave Danenberg' <dave_danenberg@litchfieldcomm.com>, David Zelig <Davidz@corrigent.com>, Jim Boyle <jboyle@Level3.net>, mpls@UU.NET, pwot@ietf.org, "Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@cisco.com>, "Andrew G. Malis (E-mail)" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com>, "tom k. johnson" <tom_johnson@litchfieldcomm.com>
Sender: pwot-admin@ietf.org

Heiles,

>Concerning CEM over MPLS for CBR signals like a STS-SPE/VC in general I
>share some of the doubts expressed in a previous mail, specifically for
>clock jitter and wander. The MPLS transport could result in excessive
>pointer justification of the STS-SPE or VT outside the Sonet/SDH
>specifications.

As you have probably noticed, one of the areas that still needs more
fleshing out in draft-malis-sonet-ces-mpls-03.txt are the underlying QoS
requirements for the MPLS transport.  Of course, the QoS you can get is
dependent on the capabilities of the MPLS LSRs - best effort forwarding
only is obviously insufficient.  The more interesting question is what IS
sufficient in the transport network to be able to meet the generally
accepted requirements for bit error rates, clock jitter and wander, etc.,
and how large do the jitter buffers need to be at the receiver?

Of course, using the EF codepoint in either an E-LSP or L-LSP is the
obvious starting point, but that will still be dependent on the network
operators allocating sufficient resources for EF traffic in their networks
so that the emulated SONET circuits perform adequately.  It may end up
being an iterative process, at least at first, in order to get it right.

Regarding jitter buffers, most people I've discussed this with seem to
think that about 10-15 ms worth of buffering should be more than sufficient.

I appreciate any other thoughts you may have.

Cheers,
Andy