[PWOT] RE: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt

Heiles Juergen <Juergen.Heiles@icn.siemens.de> Fri, 02 March 2001 15:57 UTC

From: Heiles Juergen <Juergen.Heiles@icn.siemens.de>
To: 'Dave Danenberg' <dave_danenberg@litchfieldcomm.com>, David Zelig <Davidz@corrigent.com>, Jim Boyle <jboyle@Level3.net>
Cc: mpls@UU.NET, pwot@ietf.org, "Thomas D. Nadeau" <tnadeau@cisco.com>, "Andrew G. Malis (E-mail)" <Andy.Malis@vivacenetworks.com>, "tom k. johnson" <tom_johnson@litchfieldcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:52:31 +0100
Subject: [PWOT] RE: draft-danenberg-sonet-ces-mpls-mib-00.txt
Sender: pwot-admin@ietf.org

It is interesting to see the increased interest in the supervision features of the "expensive, complicated, ..." TDM=Sonet/SDH system as soon as it is going carrier class.
By the way Sonet/SDH offers already a feature for supervison of a sub-network connections of a STS-SPE (VC). It is called tandem connection monitoring TCM. It basically determines the failure/bit error status at the start of the sub-network connection, transports it via an overhead byte (N1) to the end of the sub-network connection and compares it with the status there (bit -errors at start - bit erros at end= bit errors of sub-network connection). In additon it provides its own trace for conenctivity supervision.
In any case supervision at the MPLS layer is of interest (see the discussion on MPLS OAM), which however should be independent of the client signals.

Concerning CEM over MPLS for CBR signals like a STS-SPE/VC in general I share some of the doubts expressed in a previous mail, specifically for clock jitter and wander. The MPLS transport could result in excessive pointer justification of the STS-SPE or VT outside the Sonet/SDH specifications.

Regards

Juergen