Re: about QoS

Kevin DeLange <kdelange@lighthousecomm.com> Fri, 09 October 1998 13:32 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 08:48:32 -0400
From: Kevin DeLange <kdelange@lighthousecomm.com>
To: rick king <rickyy@bbs.huizhou.gd.cn>
CC: mpls <mpls@netlab.indiana.edu>, qosr@newbridge.com
Subject: Re: about QoS
Sender: owner-qosr@newbridge.com

Rick,

If the only reason you want to implement QoS is to insure that there are only
two classes of traffic moving over the Internet, then your proposal makes
sense.  However, there are numerous reasons why you need a more robust mechanism
to segment traffic.  Critical applications, and their underlying protocols, do
not always need the same traffic priorities.  It's not on/off, it's more like
how much do you want to turn it on.  More importantly, you have to consider the
difference between constant bit rate versus variable bit rate applications.  If
you want to deliver voice over a packet switched network, you need some
guarantees that the voice traffic will be provided a steady stream of priority
traffic.  At the same time you may need to guarantee that mission critical data
applications be given priority over other less sensitive traffic.  And if
multicast ever becomes a reality over the Internet, it will become even more
critical to offer a robust mechanism to allow for more effective bandwidth
utilization.

Kevin