Re: PQC and QOSPF

Yao-Min Chen <ychen@fla.fujitsu.com> Fri, 24 July 1998 21:23 UTC

Delivery-Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:23:13 -0400
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 13:52:52 -0700
From: Yao-Min Chen <ychen@fla.fujitsu.com>
To: qosr@newbridge.com
Subject: Re: PQC and QOSPF
Sender: owner-qosr@ca.newbridge.com

--- Begin Message ---
Ohta san,

Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Yao-Min;
>
> > these messages follow the direction of a flow,
> > only downstream routers receive resource reservation
> > info of upstream routers but not the other way
> > around.  The problem with this is that upstream
>
> Yes, it makes the QOS routing a little more stable and is not a problem.

Could you elaborate on the stability part?

As for "not a problem" part,
I hope I understand the protocol correctly but it
seems there could be a potential problem.  Consider
the following example: a bandwidth of b1 is reserved
for a multicast flow on the path S--A--B--C--R1.
For simplicity, assume all links on the path have
the same available (residual) bandwidth b2 (<b1)
after committing b1 bandwidth to the flow.  This
info is flooded to all routers using some form of
extension to link state advertisements (LSAs).
(In QOSPF, the extension is called RES-LSA while
 in PQC, QoSLSAP messages)

Using PQC, router A considers link (B,C)
has only available bandwidth b2.  On the
other hand, router C can
"correct" the link bandwidth to b1+b2 as far
as computing the route for the flow is concerned.
Now suppose a new receiver R2 would like to join
the multicast tree and links (A,R2) and (C,R2)
both exist (see Figure below).

S--A--B--C--R1
    \   /
     \ /
      R2

Since router A thinks the available bandwidth b2
of (B,C) is insufficient (recall b2<b1), it
adds branch (A,R2) for the new multicast tree
but router C may compute (C,R2) to reach
the new receiver.  So we have an inconsistent
calculation of the new multicast tree.

My main concern is that a very fundamental
premise of link state routing algorithm is
that all routers see the same network status
(link states); or one could say all routers
should have consistent link state databases.
PQC, by only notifying downstream routers the
reservation status of upstream routers, seems
to break this premise.

> > I guess a simple fix would be to also
> > piggyback resource reservation on the
> > RESV messages.  Or maybe it is not
> > necessary because receiving successful
> > RSVP Resv message by a router would
> > imply the resource reservation info
> > on downstream links?
>
> Yes, as the QoS routing is hop-by-hop, which is necessary for multicast
> and RESV merge, a router do not have to know the result of
> previous routing. The router can not, in case of multicast and RESV merge.

Yes indeed.

> Note that, to assist dynamic rerouting, it reduces rerouting delay, if
> upstream, NOT DOWNSTREAM, link state of the current path is carried
> back in RESV, which is an extension to PQC I'm thinking about now.

Are you saying that instead of using the _next_ refresh PATH
message to propagate the resource reservation info, we use
_current_ RESV so that we can reduce information propagation
delay?

> Note also that, with QoS routing, PATH must follow the result of
> QoS routing, if any, of RESV, because only RESV has the QoS information
> which is necessary for QoS routing.
>
>                                         Masataka Ohta

Thanks,
--
Yao-Min Chen, Fujitsu Labs of America, ychen@fla.fujitsu.com
595 Lawrence Expressway, Sunnyvale, CA 94086-3922

--- End Message ---