QoS Issues for Transport of Multimedia Data over Cellular Wireless Networks

Sanket S Nesargi <sanket@utdallas.edu> Sat, 27 June 1998 18:36 UTC

Delivery-Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 14:37:00 -0400
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 13:09:58 -0500
From: Sanket S Nesargi <sanket@utdallas.edu>
To: Audio/Video Transport <rem-conf@es.net>, Roaming Operations <roamops@tdmx.rutgers.edu>, QoS Routing <qosr@newbridge.com>, IP Telephony <iptel@lists.research.bell-labs.com>
Subject: QoS Issues for Transport of Multimedia Data over Cellular Wireless Networks
Sender: owner-qosr@ca.newbridge.com

Hi,
 	I am working on the QoS issues for the transport of multimediadata over
a variety of networks (including cellular, and possibly ad-hoc networks)  as a
part of my Master's thesis. I want to look at these aspects in an
architecture independent manner. More  specifically, I am interested in
looking at the modifications needed to transport multimedia data over
networks using Mobile IP at the network layer, RTP/RTCP payload in UDP
packets, and how the different QoS parameters like jitter, end to end
delay etc could be satisfied in such a scenario.
 	Almost all of the literature that I have come across treats the
topic at a lower layer, assuming the existence of an ATM network and using
Wireless ATM to extend it over the wireless hop. In this, the QoS is
guaranteed by reserving timeslots in the TDM frames sent to the mobile
host. However, I feel that assuming the existence of an end-to-end ATM n/w
is not valid as the end-to-end connection may span across diverse
networks, all of which may not guarantee deterministic delays etc. I
intend to look at the issues from the modifications needed at the network
and the transport layers in an architecture independent manner.
	I have not been able to find any literature on this topic, and if
anyone could provide me with useful pointers to information on this topic
it would be great. Also, if you could let me know your points of view on
looking at QoS provisioning in this manner, I would really grateful.

Thanks,
Sanket Nesargi

 			Sanket S. Nesargi

 	Research Assistant	 | 2400 Waterview Parkway, #1215
 	Distributed Systems Lab  | Richardson, TX - 75080
 	UT Dallas                |
 	Off: (972) 883 2420      | Res: (972) 437 1740