Re: PQC and QOSPF

Yao-Min Chen <ychen@fla.fujitsu.com> Thu, 23 July 1998 23:23 UTC

Delivery-Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 19:23:48 -0400
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:52:33 -0700
From: Yao-Min Chen <ychen@fla.fujitsu.com>
To: Zhaohui Zhang <zzhang@argon.com>
CC: qosr@newbridge.com
Subject: Re: PQC and QOSPF
Sender: owner-qosr@ca.newbridge.com

Jeffrey,

Thank you for the prompt and authoritative reply from
the QOSPF point of view.

Summarizing from your response, RRA flooding is needed
to avoid "stepping over your own shadow" but such
flooding indeed leads to a scaling problem.  Possible
approaches to alleviate the problem:
- Let RRA info be propagated only to routers on the data
  path, possibly using RSVP.  But RSVP camp did not like
  the idea.
- Use ER, so that the info is only needed at the first
  hop routers.

Using RSVP to carry routing related info does appear
to violate the separation between reservation and
routing.  Now, if we use ER, still there needs to be a
way to propagate the resource reservation info to the
first-hop (source) routers.  For this purpose,
EROSPF (Explicit Routing OSPF) proposed in in
draft-zhang-qospf uses RRAs but limits the
flooding destination only to the first-hop
routers (but these RRAs have to be propagated
through intermediate routers anyway).  The
complexity analysis in the draft seems to indicate
the same message complexity as PQC.  Let me know
if this comparison is incorrect. Thanks.

Yao-Min