Re: Bugs of the interop

Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com> Fri, 02 March 2018 15:53 UTC

From: Patrick McManus <pmcmanus@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2018 10:53:53 -0500
Subject: Re: Bugs of the interop
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
Cc: "quic@ietf.org" <quic@ietf.org>

Christian, thanks for sending this!

I have a few conclusions to draw from the experience:

1: these events, both f2f and virtual, generate two valuable outputs. One
is the feedback you summarized and the other is a set of reference
implementations that will help later implementations that want to interop
be of higher quality. These benefits come specifically from interop events
not just implementations. And that's working.

2: this was the first time I saw fairly wide testing of Retry 0-RTT and
Resumption. Especially 0-RTT. That's really great - though I don't know if
anyone was doing address validation with 0-RTT yet. On my own scoreboard
that leaves migration, key updates, and qpack as the biggest bits of
unexplored spec.

Thanks to everyone for keeping up the cadence. Hope to see you in London.

-P