Re: questions on draft-ietf-quic-recovery

Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Sun, 04 November 2018 08:22 UTC

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 01:21:57 -0700
Subject: Re: questions on draft-ietf-quic-recovery
To: ianswett@google.com
Cc: Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp>, jri.ietf@gmail.com, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>, quic@ietf.org

Hi Ian,

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:28 PM Ian Swett <ianswett@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 7:12 PM Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> Thank you so much for the detailed response. Things are getting clearer
>> to me now.
>> I will need to have some time to think about some of them, but I would
>> like to comments on the following points.
>> Also, I am very sorry that I have mostly read -15 version and didn't have
>> enough time to check -16 carefully (so, my question on 4.5.7.3 was wrong) .
>> I will try to re-read -16 before the meeting.
>>

> Not a problem, the drafts are still changing quite rapidly.
>

>> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM Ian Swett <ianswett=
>> 40google.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for your careful reading, answers inline.
>> >
>> > Yes, there's an open Issue to clarify this.
>> https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/1212
>> >
>> > The outstanding PR is quite old, but has some helpful clarifications in
>> it, so I'm intending to migrate the best parts to a new PR.  Suggestions(or
>> PRs) welcome.
>>
>> I don't have explicit suggestions for now, but I guess we will need to
>> think about the following 2 questions.
>>
>> Q1: Should implementations should support both modes or are they allow to
>> support only one of them?
>> Q2: An implementation that supports both modes can activate both logics
>> at the same time or the mode should be used exclusively?
>> I think these questions will lead to another question: How much freedom
>> implementations should have. For example, how much implementations should
>> follow the pseudo codes.
>>

> The existing text says one may use one or the other or both.  I tend to
> think we'll end up with always using both and removing the early retransmit
> special case.  I believe the recent RACK draft removes early retransmit
> entirely, correct?(BTW, it mentions early retransmit, but doesn't
> explicitly say it replaces it from my reading).  If you think that would be
> an improvement, I can file an issue for that and it might be worth
> discussing in tcpm.

The current RACK uses adopted reordering window and it will be ACK-based
when no reordering is observed. I am thinking it might be an interesting
topic to be discussed.

>> Section 4.2.2:
>> one.
>> >

>> > The timer is taken from Linux, as mentioned at the end of 4.2.2.  It's
>> categorized as ACK based because it is only armed when a packet with a
>> larger packet number than the one being lost has been acknowledged.  One
>> could argue the same issue for time based loss detection, which also needs
>> a timer.
>> >
>> > Instead of 4*SMSS, we specify kReorderingThreshold, since it seemed
>> like the core issue being fixed was that there was no other mechanism for
>> quickly declaring these packets lost, and if one did implement adaptive
>> reordering tolerance, one threshold wouldn't be out of sync with the other.
>> >
>> > The intent is that like RACK, timer based loss detection subsumes early
>> retransmit.  But yes, this text could use some further clarification,
>> including and not limited to items pointed out in #1212.
>>
>> Hmm... but, as you implement the logic in such a way, I think the current
>> early transmit logic in the draft is similar to the TLP logic in the draft.
>> If time_reordering_fraction is 1/8, it seems to me they are mostly
>> identical.
>> (Well, one may say this is a natural thing because early transmit and
>> TLP is aiming similar goal)
>>

> I tried to clarify the timers used in Early Retransmit and Time-Based loss
> detection in PR#1957 <https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/1957>.
> Please take a look if you have time.  The text about time-based loss
> detection needs further work, but this is a start along that direction.

OK. I will think about this a bit more.

> I might still overlook something, but it seems to me that the ack-based
>> scheme in QUIC just looks the time-based scheme in QUIC + retransmission
>> scheme with dupack threshold.
>> But, in this case, I am wondering that it may be enough just to have
>> ack-based scheme.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand fully, but I expect that's because the current
> text is unclear.

Or, I overlook something. In any case, I think it is great to have a chance
to discuss specifically loss discovery and CC. Thank you so much!
--
Yoshi