Re: Measurement bit(s) or not

"Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch> Mon, 12 February 2018 09:20 UTC

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
Subject: Re: Measurement bit(s) or not
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 10:20:14 +0100
Cc: "Lubashev, Igor" <ilubashe@akamai.com>, "alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com" <alexandre.ferrieux@orange.com>, Mikkel Fahnøe Jørgensen <mikkelfj@gmail.com>
To: "quic@ietf.org" <quic@ietf.org>

hi Mikkel, Igor, Alexandre, all,

Engineering is fun, but let's step back a bit. :)

It looks like we're exploring a space of proposals that have different tradeoffs for the patterns of loss and reordering they can easily make visible, tradeoffs for sender (endpoint) versus observer (midpoint) complexity, and tradeoffs for fidelity versus overhead.

In any case, it seems like it is possible to design a signal that would be a vast improvement (from the measurement utility standpoint) over no signal and no discernible pattern in the packet number that will fit in bits scavenged from the Type field of the short header, i.e., the bandwidth overhead will be *zero*, because otherwise in an encrypted-PN world we just have to grease those bits anyway.

Back to Alexandre's question:

Do we want to do this?

Rephrased: Is the passive measurability of loss, reordering (and, if we consider the spin bit as one of the measurement bits, latency) of QUIC important to us, or do we decide we can live with the negative pressure a complete loss of visibility and an vast increase in diagnostic complexity will place on deployment?

Note, of course, that all the proposals we have so far represent a decrease in visibility and an increase in complexity of measurement compared to passive measurement of TCP. New tools will have to be developed. But the loss of visibility is minimal compared to blackout, and the deployability and feasibility of all of these is far, far better than an SSLKEYLOGFILE-based debugging approach, especially in the interdomain case.

I've heard at least one dismissal of this whole space as being too abstract to take seriously. (I'm not concerned, but maybe I've been staring at network measurement both passive and active for too long to know what's intuitive anymore.) Let me then suggest a way forward:

I've announced a table at the London hackathon for "Transport Measurability" (see https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/101hackathon), which we intend to set up in the vicinity of QUIC. This was originally intended as the "Spin Bit" table, and we (from ETH) will be there working on scalable, open-source passive measurement tools both for the spin bit as well as for the current TCP TSOPT and SEQ/ACK methodologies (as a basis of comparison, mainly; at least in the case of the spin bit we so far believe the explicit signalœ to have superior usability compared to current TCP measurement). I suggest we expand the scope of table to hack on various signals for loss and reordering, and to compare their complexity and fidelity against the loss and reordering patterns we want visibility into. One output of this work could be a (smaller) set of suggestion(s) for which signal(s) to add, so that those who want to have concrete proposals to evaluate can do so.

Cheers,

Brian