Re: On the relation between QUIC documents

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Wed, 01 August 2018 12:54 UTC

Subject: Re: On the relation between QUIC documents
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 14:54:19 +0200
Cc: quic@ietf.org
To: Mathias Hall-Andersen <mathias.hall-andersen=40nccgroup.trust@dmarc.ietf.org>

Hi Mathias,

the group concluded a while ago that version 1 (or whatever this first IETF version will be called) of QUIC will use TLS and using a different encryption scheme will require to specify a new QUIC version. However, the TLS part is still in an separate document to make the specification on a new version with just a different crypto as easy as possible.

However, I do agree that there are some cases where the separation could be even more clear (e.g. the key phase bit is an example) and maybe requirements should be spelled out separately in order to make is easier to evolve to a new crypto scheme when needed. The PNE, however, is in my opinion separate enough from the payload encryption that is should stay in the transport draft itself.

Mirja